Kohler Bay Sunset In the Eyes of a Loon and Her Youngster

If you look closely into her eyes you will see the sunset and its reflection about the horizon on the bay. Taken in Kohler Bay, Namakan Lake, Voyageurs National Park. (click on the image for a larger version)

_DSC2325Taken with a Nikon D3s on a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 lens with a Nikon 2.0x teleconverter, ISO 3200, 1/800s, f/11.0 (effective aperture). They let me get incredibly close, actually too close for an 800mm lens, this was taken as I backed off a bit.


Yet Another Gratuitous Moonshot



And here is the relatively easy split of the double Mizar in the Big Dipper using a stationary tripod, note the chromatic aberration caused by the Nikon refractor lens, a lens optimized for astrophotography would minimize this effect. The easy way out is to use a reflector, but this design produces many other unwanted artifacts. Ah yes, wouldn’t it be nice to obtain a piece of  AstroPhysics glass and mount it on an AstroPhysics mount, someday I’ll win the lottery. Or, better yet, get sponsored by a government research grant. I’m not loosing any sleep waiting for either ;-)


Another Moon Shot for the CGEM Fanboys

Since a CGEM fanboy did not like my moon image from last night here is another, this time using my D800 and seven exposure image set and High Dynamic Range (HDR) processing.

<sarc on> I hope this passes your highly refined expectations. <sarc off>


Now, I could obviously improve upon this with an equatorial mount, yes even the CGEM, but why bother for a web image? And yes, this one is also shrunk and compressed into a jpeg image. The D800 has a much higher quality sensor over the Nikon 1 J1 sensor and therefore has far less chromatic aberrations. But I did not need to attach sandbags when using the Nikon 1 J1.

And then again, I’m making a case to push Nikon into making a professional grade mirror-less camera, I’m definitely not trying to impress any amateur CGEM fanboys.

In addition the Nikon cameras and lenses are NOT optimized for astrophotography and yet they still kick ass over a 9.25 inch Celestron optical tube that was supposedly optimized for astrophotography, so bite on that one CGEM fanboys.

Can’t Get Enough of the Moon


I just can’t get enough of the Moon:


Once again, taken with my Nikon 1 J1 with the 400mm f/2.8 and 2.0x stacked with a 1.4x teleconverter. And yes, once again, there is no substitute for a mechanical-less (i.e. shutter-less and mirror-less) super telephoto setup.

Note that I tried to get an image of Saturn but the “seeing” conditions proved fairly poor, the rings did not resolve themselves from the main gaseous body :-(

Surprising how well the Moon worked out :-)

Kabetogama Peninsula From DJI Phantom Vision

Kabetogama Peninsula from a DJI Phantom 2 Vision directly above Ek’s Bay campsite. The largest body of water is Lake Kabetogama’s Lost Bay, a short portage to the east is Ek Lake and Agness Lake, to the north is Quarter Line Lake and Jorgen’s Lake, Slightly to the northwest is Little Shoepack and Shoepack Lakes, the source of a unique breed of Muskellunge. Far to the north on the horizon is Rainy Lake. To the south you can see the entrance narrows to Sullivan Bay.


Blind Ash Bay Moments

Here are a couple of shots taken from Blind Ash Bay. I used a Nikon D3s with a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens coupled with a Nikon 2x teleconverter. My RRS tripod is still in the process of healing, day three of a five day cure time on the bonding between the aluminum and carbon fiber attache point, therefore, I had to leave my 400mm lens in the case, but damn! I wish I had my 400mm tonight! Oh well, the 200mm with the teleconverter does a pretty good job, just not THE optimal one. Enjoy…

_DSC1956 _DSC2032

And here is the sunset from Blind Ash Bay, taken with my D800 and a Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 lens:


Moonshot D800

Here is another moonshot using my Nikon 400mm with the 2.0x and 1.4x teleconverters only this time with my Nikon D800. This setup, unlike the mirror/shutter-less Nikon J1,  requires sandbags strapped to the lens to reduce shutter vibrations, the mirror was locked up prior to exposures. I also included a shot of Saturn for perspective and relative resolution. The “seeing” conditions for the Moon were clear and fairly good but Saturn was veiled by some high cirrus clouds.

From Lost Bay:


Cropped Moon:_DSC4812_crop

Full Frame 35mm D800:_DSC4812

Cropped Saturn:


Saturn Full Frame 35mm size D800:_DSC4838